Tuesday, March 17, 2009

it's official


One Mr. William James is two today.



Exactly two years ago, I popped a 20.5 inch, 8 lb 12 oz child out of my va-jay-jay. And it hurt. It hurt enough that Ryan and I are still arguing about who has to give birth next time around.



Just last night, we were discussing child labor (by the way, "labor" is not an accurate description.):



Ryan: I think next time you are having a baby, you should get an epidural.

Me: Wait. What? I thought I did pretty well.

Ryan: Sure...

Me: Then why should I get one next time?

Ryan: Well, it's more for me than for you. You were really stressful.

Me: Gee, thanks, I suppose I should get an epidural then, so that you are comfortable.





For the record, I think I handled myself pretty well. I had no epidural and I'm pretty sure not a single profanity slipped from my mouth.

This morning, I woke William up and sang Happy Birthday to him approximately 400 times. Everytime I finished, he would clap and yell "YAYYY!!! more! more!"

I dressed him festively, in green of course. Wasn't he born on a fun day? Then we took him to get his passport. This wouldn't normally be that big of a deal. Except yesterday, possibly sensing that he was going to be stuck with his passport picture for 5 years, he went and got a black eye. (thanks to a run in with a particularly feisty table). A big, ugly, swollen black eye. Lovely. Unfortunately, we had put off the passports for months already, and we couldn't wait any longer. So, that's just the way it is.


Happy Birthday, my sweet baby!

3 comments:

Zarina said...

Happy birthday Will!

Just curious, but why did you decide to not get an epidural?

*shannon said...

I chose not to get an epidural for a few reasons...

I have a thing about putting stuff in my body... I hate even taking advil.

I have read that the epidural goes into the baby's system too & I wanted to avoid that if possible.

I am absolutely terrified of needles and the thought of having anything stuck in my SPINE scared me more than pushing out a kid.

I wanted to be fully aware and have feeling in all of my limbs during labor.

So, with that said, I will admit that I was in enough pain that I did want some drugs. It was too late for an epidural but they took the edge off with some type of lovely pain reliever through my IV. I made it without the epidural, and I was so proud that I was able to do it, so I'll try to make it without an epidural next time, especially now that I know what to expect and know that I am capable of making it through the pain.

Note: I have no problem with women that do decide to have an epidural :)

So. That was my long-winded take on the epidural.

Zarina said...

Lol, if it were me I would NOT "want to be fully aware and have feeling in all of my limbs" at that time. Preferably I would be completely knocked out...completely. Lol.

Just one of the many reasons why I don't want kids. :P