Tuesday, November 4, 2008

a belated halloween recap

First things first. I did not dress up this year. I know, lame, right? After last year's costume fiasco, I have officially sworn off costumes. At least until I have the energy to do it right, you know? I wanted to dress up as Michael Jackson (hello, sparkly gloves? yes please.) and then I thought about Tinkerbell (sparkly wings? sign me up.). But alas, nothing worked out in the end.

In an effort to have some Halloween spirit, I did "carve" a pumpkin with the Kid. And by carve, I mean we drilled that sucker full of holes and called it good. Hey, it was Martha's idea. It looked a lot easier than spending hours slaving with a dangerous weapon just for a pumpkin that will rot within three days. Or less. So I gave the kid a power tool, and we took out our pent up aggression on the helpless pumpkin. He loved the drill, but did not love anything else related to the pumpkin. For a 1.5 year old boy, Will has some funny idiosyncrasies. He loves cleaning (that's my boy!), he loves blowing his nose, and he hates being dirty. He pooed in the tub last week (quite possibly #1 on the list of grossest things ever.) and he panicked like I have never seen a child panic. He literally leaped out of the tub shrieking and pointing. (Lesson here: STOP pooing in the tub, kid. Nobody else likes it either!) His fear of all things dirty extended to pumpkin carving. I thought he would love sticking his hands in the pumpkin and pulling out all the stringy mushy mess. Wrong. I said "Will, stick your hand in there and help me pull the stuff out." He gave me The Look. The Look that says "Woman, you have got to be out of your mind. How could you even consider asking me to do something as foul as touching that stuff?!" So yes, I was on my own with the pumpkin cleaning while he gagged watching me.




And then there was Halloween. One costume (cute, right?) + three tootsie rolls + one balloon later, we experienced our first of what is sure to be an annual post-sugar-crash-meltdown. Since he had clearly had enough excitement for one day, we took him home and put him to bed. And because I live such a glamorous life, I was in bed by 9. Best. Halloween. Ever.

1 comments:

Natalie said...

that is the coolest costume i have ever seen. our halloween was triple lame. we had four kids come by, barney peed on the floor, but we DID watch nightmare before christmas and that made it better.

meanwhile, you following this election tonight? brandon keeps moaning "we're going to diiiiiiie" every few seconds. our votes canceled each other out today. haha.